Lt. Col. Michael Krom
Arkansas Air National Guard / 188th Wing
Lt Col Michael L. Krom is the Inspector General for the 188th Wing at Ebbing Air National Guard Base in Fort Smith, AR. Lt Col Krom is responsible for overall operation, administration & management of Inspector General Programs. He also provides direction and policy guidance for plans, requirements, and information flow to support wing inspections and exercises. Lt Col Krom also assesses readiness, discipline & efficiency of all assigned units and reports findings to Wing & State Leadership. Finally, he is the Wing Commander’s principle advisor on Air Force Complaints Resolution ensuring compliance with legal requirements..
Lt Col Krom originally enlisted in the Air Force as a Supply Technician in Nov 1993. He earned an ROTC scholarship through the Scholarships for Outstanding Airmen to ROTC (SOAR) program. He is a 2003 distinguished graduate of Louisiana State University, where he received his commission from the Reserve Officer Training Corps as a personnel officer. Lt Col Krom has served 29 years in the Regular Air Force (RegAF), Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard. Prior to his current position, Lt Col Krom served as the Branch Chief for Officer Programs and Policy, establishing and publishing guidance for officer promotions, accessions and evaluations for the Air Nation Guard.
- 1993 Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
- 2003 Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education with concentration in Social Studies, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
- 2003 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2006 Basic Personnel and Manpower Course, Keesler AFB, Miss. 2008 Aerospace Instructors Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2010 Master of Higher Education, Trident University International, Cypress, Calif. 2013 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2018 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2019 Air War College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- November 1993 – January 1994, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
- January 1994 – March 1997, Supply Apprentice, 28th Supply Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- June 1997 – August 1999, Mobility & Readiness Specialist, 28th Supply Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- August 1999 – May 2003, Air Force ROTC Cadet, Detachment 310, Louisiana State University, La.
- June 2003 – April 2004, Section Commander, 366th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
- April 2004 – September 2004, Flight Commander/Vocalist, Tops in Blue, Lackland AFB, Texas
- September 2004 – October 2006, Flight Commander/Adjutant, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB,
- October 2006 – May 2008, Chief, Relocations & Employments, 51st Mission Support Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- May 2008 – March 2011, Recruiting Flight Commander, US Air Force ROTC Detachment 310, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La.
- March 2011 – January 2015, Flight Commander/Instructor, 23rd Training Squadron, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- October 2013 – January 2015, Operations Officer, 111th Force Support Squadron, Horsham Air Guard Station, Pa.
- January 2015 – June 2016, Student Squadron Commander, Detachment 12, Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2016 – April 2018, Director of Operations, 24th Training Squadron, Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- April 2018 – July 2020, Headquarters Section Commander, 1st Air Force (Air Forces Northern), Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- July 2020 – August 2022, Branch Chief, Officer Programs and Policy, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- August 2022 – Present, Inspector General, 188th Wing, Ebbing Air National Guard Base, Fort Smith, Ark.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement with one oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters and Valor device
- Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with one oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Recognition Ribbon
- National Defense Service Medal Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Korean Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Airman Basic Nov. 11, 1993
- Airman May 11, 1994
- Airman First Class May 11, 1995
- Senior Airman Nov. 11, 1996
- Second Lieutenant May 23, 2003
- First Lieutenant May 23, 2005
- Captain May 23, 2007
- Major May 23, 2014
- Lieutenant Colonel July 2, 2018
(Current as of July 2023)